Thursday, February 16, 2006

Miss Morem's Sequence of Events on 2.15.06

1) All morning I 3-hole punch lesson plans and put them into a 3-ring binder (can't use my "teaching" space because one of the other teachers is using it...no room)
2) There us a fist fight in a teachers room down hall. No one in the room does anything about it.
3) I go to pick up my kids from their general classroom. They are getting better and better at their addition facts (we play "around the world").
4a) I bring the first group back to their classroom, and pick up the next group of kids.
4b) On our way to my classroom, we walk by a different class where I see a boy in a blood-stained, white shirt, standing in the middle of the classroom holding his nose in a handful of blood. Everyone was watching him as the blood dripped down and tears streamed from his eyes. The teacher stood there in shock. Not doing anything. (apparently, a boy in the class had hit the bleeding kid with a book). I gave my students (who were waiting ever-so-patiently) a deck of math flashcards, and they went to my room to keep themselves occupied while i grabbed the role of paper towels from my room, and went to help the boy with the bloody nose.
5) I return to my classroom. The three girls are successfully keeping track of how many flashcards they are getting correct. We continue with our lesson until Caridad and Anette become jealous and angry towards Evelyn because she is better at the math flashcards than they are.
6) I take the three girls back to class.
7) Caridad and Anette come to my room to tell me that they are not friends with Evelyn anymore. I tell them that friends support eachother - even when they learn things more quickly than they do.
8) I bring them back to class.
9) Guadalupe (who is in their class) stops me before i go out of the door, and tells me for the third time today that she likes Tomas.
10) On my way back to my room, I see Fernando in the hallway. He stops me, "Ms. Morem. Come over here, I have to tell you something." I reply, "Yes Fernando?" He reaches up, throws his arms around me, and gives me a hug. He does not say anything until i say, "thank you. that was very nice. how are you today?". The conversation continues until i tell him to go back to class.
11) I realize that the school day has run out of time for me to pick up my last 2 students.
12) I pick them up for 5 minutes. We play a game. They go home.
13) I visit Ms. Frum's room, after she has let all of her students go at dismissal. She tells me that today Sha-quan pushed Ara down and she hit her head on the floor. The AP (assisstant principal) had Sha-quan walk around with him from class to class for the rest of the day (as his "punishment"), and sent a note home which reads: "Your son pushed a girl in school today, please talk to him about it."
14) On my way to the TFA (Teach for America) office, I inhale a piece of pizza that i have succeedingly carried from The Bronx to lower Manhattan (and it is still warm).
15) I go to the TFA office where I feel lucky that I can be in an environment so organized. It helps my sanity to know that places like these really do exist.
16) My night continues with belly dancing, chicken sausage, spinach, and a soy chai latte.

...whew! what a day.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

um. damn!

16 February, 2006 23:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, you are so incredibel, It is so gratifying that you are so sensi and emo about all the children to which make YOUR world a better place. Keep up the incredible soul touching jouney!'Love DAD

18 February, 2006 15:48  
Blogger Sue Morem said...

I love your blog. Save it, it might lead to a book someday! You are making a difference in many lives including mine! I love you and am so proud of you, Your mom

21 February, 2006 23:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stephanie, sounds like a handful of kids and more! I can't believe that teacher stood there helpless as a poor little boy was crying and bleeding! You did awesome though! It's days like that that make me tearfully happy about being alive!!!!
~Julia from the U

10 March, 2006 21:00  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home