I believe the children are our future...
...people need someone to look up to.
Today i went on a field trip with the 3rd grade to Queensborough Community College where we saw a performance about the influence of African American Music from the 1800's - today. It was quite emotional to see all of our students singing along to the soulful songs, such as "wade in the water", and Jackson 5 songs. But the tears really started coming out when the actors sang Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All" (i think that is what it is called).
For those of you who do not know, that was my FAVORITE (and i mean FAVORITE) song when i was younger. I have home videos of me standing on our mini trampoline, in the basement, watching the music video on MTV, and singing to the camera (sometimes slurring the words, but) pretending i was Whiteny singing. I absolutely loved that song. And for some reason, when they were all singing it today, my emotions just couldnt hold back. I am no longer a "child", like the ones she talks about in the song. Those "children" are now the ones sitting next to me; sitting in front of me; surrounding me; they are the ones i am teaching!
The entire performance (at the college) was about music. And the kids got SO excited. After the singers finished each song, the kids screamed and clapped, like they had just seen the most miraculous performance. Music really has an effect on a person's emotions. I love that about it. It offers an array of powerful feelings. MAGIC.
...learning to love yourself, is the greatest love of all.
Today i went on a field trip with the 3rd grade to Queensborough Community College where we saw a performance about the influence of African American Music from the 1800's - today. It was quite emotional to see all of our students singing along to the soulful songs, such as "wade in the water", and Jackson 5 songs. But the tears really started coming out when the actors sang Whitney Houston's "The Greatest Love of All" (i think that is what it is called).
For those of you who do not know, that was my FAVORITE (and i mean FAVORITE) song when i was younger. I have home videos of me standing on our mini trampoline, in the basement, watching the music video on MTV, and singing to the camera (sometimes slurring the words, but) pretending i was Whiteny singing. I absolutely loved that song. And for some reason, when they were all singing it today, my emotions just couldnt hold back. I am no longer a "child", like the ones she talks about in the song. Those "children" are now the ones sitting next to me; sitting in front of me; surrounding me; they are the ones i am teaching!
The entire performance (at the college) was about music. And the kids got SO excited. After the singers finished each song, the kids screamed and clapped, like they had just seen the most miraculous performance. Music really has an effect on a person's emotions. I love that about it. It offers an array of powerful feelings. MAGIC.
...learning to love yourself, is the greatest love of all.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home