This is hard. The truth is this work is really hard.
That is the main idea of a letter I received in the mail today from my program director at Teach for America. She sent out the letter to all of her corp members, explaining that the job of teaching is demanding and necessary, but possible. With her letter she sent a statement that each individual wrote after being accepted into the program, before we started any of our training or teaching. It was nice to read, and might help me get through these last few months of the school year. Here is WHY I JOINED TEACH FOR AMERICA:
I believe that confronting a problem is the best way to go about making change. When I face a situation of inequality, I shudder, and wonder how the situation could be better for that one individual. I know there is something I can do, but what? Teach for America. I am deciding to join TFA because it will enable me to directly change the lives of others. My worrying about other people will diminish slightly while I am directing my passion to students who may not know how to find their own. I can not think of a better way to begin changing the world than to start with TFA. I am so excited for the direction it will lead me into, and how much I will be able to offer of myself. I view TFA as a way to show the community my appreciation of the education and life experiences granted to me. My excitement has not let down from the second I received the acceptance packet in the mail. It is an honor to be included in this mission, and i am ready to give America my best!
Since I wrote this letter, my excitement has been weakened by stress and tiredness. However, that shudder at inequality has not faded. In my classroom, I become most passionate when it comes to issues of treating others with respect, and doing your best to prove to the world what you can do. I certainly hope that I am changing the lives of my students...
I believe that confronting a problem is the best way to go about making change. When I face a situation of inequality, I shudder, and wonder how the situation could be better for that one individual. I know there is something I can do, but what? Teach for America. I am deciding to join TFA because it will enable me to directly change the lives of others. My worrying about other people will diminish slightly while I am directing my passion to students who may not know how to find their own. I can not think of a better way to begin changing the world than to start with TFA. I am so excited for the direction it will lead me into, and how much I will be able to offer of myself. I view TFA as a way to show the community my appreciation of the education and life experiences granted to me. My excitement has not let down from the second I received the acceptance packet in the mail. It is an honor to be included in this mission, and i am ready to give America my best!
Since I wrote this letter, my excitement has been weakened by stress and tiredness. However, that shudder at inequality has not faded. In my classroom, I become most passionate when it comes to issues of treating others with respect, and doing your best to prove to the world what you can do. I certainly hope that I am changing the lives of my students...

1 Comments:
Stpehanie, I am sure you are changing the lives of your students. You are the kind of involved, caring teacher they don't often see; one who really takes an interest and goes the extra mile. You are a very positive influence that is for sure
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home